Sunday, July 12, 2009

Bloggy ‘bout bookies…


Bloggy ‘bout bookies…

Now that my summer classes are over and I have a short break before fall semester begins, I really want to get my summer on or in my world-get my read on.

One of the biggest problems I have during the school year is having the time to actually sit down and dig into a nice fat juicy book. In fact the last books I read were over spring-break (Such a Pretty Plaid & Mommywood) and before that was Christmas break (The entire Twilight Saga & Host.)

Books are for me like well drugs are too well people who do drugs to escape. I read to escape into another world, slip into another person’s shoes or get chased but sweaty hot wolves.
Granted my life is better in real time now, so escaping isn’t needed as often. But a nice stroll down streets of Tuscany can do a heart and mind good.

Since real time life is better but broker, I can’t go a hog wild in Barnes & Noble, but the library is free and gives at least a good 2-3 hours of solid entertainment a week for my three kids. So I hit the new book aisle and looked up a few that had been recommended to me and here is my list (for right now) of books I am wishing to read.

1. The Great Deluge (Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans and the MS Gulf Coast) by Douglas Brinkley
2. Breach of Faith(Hurricane Katrina and the Near Death of a Great American City) by Jed Horne (Thx to @tigergoesroar for suggestion)
3. Life is Short But Wide by J. California Cooper
4. The Storm (What Went Wrong and Why During Hurricane Katrina) by Ivor van Heedren (Professor terminated from LSU for speaking out about things)
5. Come Hell or High Water(Hurricane Katrina and the Color of Disaster)by Michael Eric Ryson
6. The Good Pirates of the Forgotten Bayous (Fighting to Save a Way of life in the Wake of Hurricane Katrina) by Ken Wells
7. The Water Cooler Diaries (Women Across America Share Their Day at Work) Joni B. Cole & B.K. Rakhra

Right now the list is pretty heavy on the Katrina topic and I think that is because the anniversary is coming up and I like to keep the feelings that anniversary has for me. I may not get to all of them (Katrina topic) because I do have a saturation point on most subjects, even ones I can obsess over and or try to torture my soul with.

If you have any thing that you would like to recommend please feel free to leave me a comment, drop me an email or tweet me on twitter.com/Shannon_anicas. And if you have anything you would like me to read and review contact me ASAP because summer will be over before you know it!

Now, I am off to sit under the umbrella in my backyard that sits over my blow up 4x4 pool and pretend I’m on in Fiji and read a good, juicy book….

No comments: