Wednesday, July 22, 2009

“It’s getting hard to be someone, but it all works out…”

“It’s getting hard to be someone, but it all works out…”
Strawberry Fields~ The Beatles

I am writing this after another night of being fully awake until 4 am and up at 8:30, then dozing from 9-12. I have been battling sleepless nights again since not needing to get up in the morning.

But this is not the first battle with this nor do I think it will be the last.

I have spent my entire life trying to conform to be awake in daylight and asleep at night. For as long as I can remember I could stay up all night without difficulty provided I could sleep in. But thanks to needing to conform to an 8-5 society I have had to force my body into this life cycle.

When I was at my writing heights (successfully publishing 23 articles in a span of 6 months) I was completely nocturnal. I am at my creative heights from about 11 pm to 4 am. When the world is silent my brain is in overdrive.

Which is great when you can utilize it to make beautiful art out of words, but not so great when you need to get up in the morning so you are forced to quiet the creative juices with large doses of medications just to be “normal”? And let me tell ya…normal sucks.

No comments: